45th Avenue was constructed in 1905, when the Sunset District was still a smattering of small beach cottages. The original structure was a simple four-square with a shingled hipped roof and a front porch. Over time it was buried in stucco and additions dragged down the rear.
The remodel excavated a few feet, inserting a second unit under the original house, and allowed for 3 full floors at the rear. A custom steel and ply staircase travels from garage level workroom up to the master suite. Framing clues and finding original porch windows reused in the basement led to the restored façade. Two large crevasse-like skylights bring light deep into the house, keeping it aglow even on the foggiest of days.